James Laurence Joseph Hughes B.L.
(Photo Catherina Cotter)
Mr Patrick C.S. Roberts
(Photo Brian Murphy)
Newlands founded in 1910 was formally Robin Hood Golf Club. A 9 hole course situated behind the present Red Cow Hotel. The club for reasons unknown was terminated in 1913 but most likely for financial reasons. Robin Hood Golf Club was revived in 1921 on the same site. Both Hughes and Roberts were pivotal in founding Robin Hood and its revival. JL Hughes was Captain in 1910-12 and again in 1922. PC Roberts was Captain 1923.
Irish Times 29th November 1911
The adjourned general meeting will be held on Saturday evening next in the Central Hotel,Exchequer Street, at 7 o’clock Members are particularly asked to attend.
Newlands Archiving and Heritage Committee 2017